Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Gallo-Roman necklace, mid-3rd c. (Louvre BJ586)

I'm going to take a brief trip outside of Byzantine jewellery to look at this Gallo-Roman piece. I am uncertain if it is currently on display at the Louvre, but it's a lovely little piece, and it's one that I hope to recreate, even if it is much earlier than my persona.

That being said, there is a multi-stranded necklace in Theodora with Attendants (which is one of two of my go-to resources for art contemporary to my persona) that may resemble something like this, but like most two-dimensional pieces of art, it is hard to tell.

One more thing - check out the clasp! I've seen similar leaf-shaped clasps that have been made commercially. It would also not be hard to create one with commercially-produced products, either.

Via Flickr:
Provenance: Rouen (possibly)
l : 39.5 cm

photo source: RMN

No comments:

Post a Comment